6 Voided long cross pennies addedDecember 28th, 2017
It has been a while but I've been busy with other things. Doesn't mean that there are no coins to be added though! I try to do more, smaller, updates coming months, starting with 6 voided long cross sterlings. The first in the list is the most special of them. It is a HENRICVS COMES sterling, found by my good friend Mark in Friesland. On a field he discovered a scattered small hoard and 2 coins appeared to be this type of imitations and he has donated one to me. I'm very happy with such a gift! Interesting to see that again 2 HENRICVS COMES sterlings were found closer to Kuinre than the Westfalen area. It is still not sure where they are minted. Hopefully we can sort it out one day with new finds! The other 5 coins are "just" imitations and contemporary forgeries, but still very interesting to see. The best numismatic wishes for 2018, in good health!
- #0264, a rare HENRICVS COMES sterling!
- #0265, a nice class 5 voided long cross imitation
- #0266, a cut half forged voided long cross sterling
- #0267, another class 5 voided long cross imitation
- #0268, and again a class 5 voided long cross imitation
- #0269, a forged voided long cross sterling
Addition of 19 coinsMay 20th, 2017
Today 19 coins, some very rare or unique, were added to the website. One of the coins bears the name of Julius Caesar! Go check it out:
- #0245, a rare variety of a John of Avesnes sterling. Haven't seen this before!
- #0246, an enigmatic coin: obverse John of Avesnes, reverse Namur. Rare!
- #0247, a nice variety of a Valeran of Ligny sterling
- #0248, an unlisted variety of a Thomas of Bourlémont sterling
- #0249, a William of Namur cut halfpenny
- #0250, a sterling issued by John the Blind
- #0251, a sterling issued by Robert of Béthune with a die error
- #0252, a scarce sterling issued by Robert of Béthune
- #0253, a Gaucher of Châtillon sterling, with English legends
- #0254, unrecorded! This sterling by John of Louvain isn't mentioned in any books!
- #0255, a rare pollard by Guy of Dampierre
- #0256, a very rare Maastricht minted variety, by John III of Brabant
- #0257, unique and very rare! A halfpenny issued by Marie of Artois
- #0258, an English legend imitation with an interesting reverse legend
- #0259, a very rare crockard by Adolf VIII of Berg, Wipperfürt mint
- #0260, an Edwardian contemporary forgery
- #0261, again a contemporary forgery in the style of an Edwardian penny
- #0262, the third contemporary Edwardian forgery in this update
- #0263, a very rare "Julius Caesar" sterling issued by John II of Sancerre
Crockards & PollardsFebruary 4th, 2017
Today I added 6 crockards and pollards:
- #0239, a sterling issued by John I of Brabant
- #0240, an interesting mule of a Mayhew 11/12 pollard by Guy of Dampierre
- #0241, an rare variety of a John I of Brabant crockard, unlisted!
- #0242, a rare Arnold V of Looz pollard with roses in a quarter
- #0243, an unlisted and new type of a John II of Brabant crockard!
- #0244, a crockard by John of Louvain
Short cross additionsMay 18th, 2016
As promised this time an update with 11 short cross sterlings. They are much rarer than voided long crosses and was very pleased to acquire a couple last months, some with interesting provenance! Before I go further, I should mention that the important numismatic Jeffrey North died last month at the age of 96. We all know him for his 2 books 'English Hammered Coinage' and his fantastic article J. J. North, "Some imitations and forgeries of the English and Irish Long Cross pence of Henry III", British Numismatic Journal 65 (1995), 83-119, 4 pls.
To get a better overview at the short cross coins, I gave every ruler its own page like I've done with the voided long cross and long cross sterlings. I hope you like them all as much as I do, some very interesting pieces are listed:
- #0228, a short cross imitation minted in Iserlohn by Adolf I
- #0229, a very rare and interesting (but broken) coin by Frederick II of Hohenstaufen
- #0230, this one has some rosettes showing the Lippe mint (a Bernhard III issue)
- #0231, a short cross forgery
- #0232, again a forged short cross penny
- #0233, an anonymous continental imitation
- #0234, an anonymous continental imitation
- #0235, a forged short cross penny
- #0236, a short cross forgery
- #0237, a cut half short cross contemporary forgery
- #0238, an extremely rare quarter (cut) by Hermann II or Bernhard III of Lippe
Voided long cross additionsFebruary 10th, 2016
This update contains 15 voided long cross sterlings (my reference no.'s 0213-0227). The most (9) are class 5 imitations but I also added 4 imitations of class 3. The last 2 are contemporary forgeries. Some coins have an interesting provenance. For example, a couple of coins I added come from the Ex J. Sazama collection and some from J.J. North and are also mentioned in his great article and reference work: J. J. North, "Some imitations and forgeries of the English and Irish Long Cross pence of Henry III", British Numismatic Journal 65 (1995), 83-119, 4 pls. I try to add the provenance to the other coins on the site, were available of course. The next update will be a short cross edition. Stay tuned!
12 Sterlings addedJanuary 21st, 2016
Let's start 2016 with an addition of 12 coins:
- #0201, an unknown variety of a sterling issued by Guy of Dampierre
- #0202, a very rare Pollard type sterling by John of Avesnes
- #0203, an imitation with English legends
- #0204, a cut half Irish/Scottish sterling
- #0205, a forged short cross sterling, the first on the website!
- #0206, a forged voided long cross sterling
- #0207, a forged long cross sterling
- #0208, another forged voided long cross sterling
- #0209, a forged long cross sterling
- #0210, a class 5 voided long cross imitation
- #0211, a forged voided long cross sterling
- #0212, an Edwardian imitation with English legends
Sterling #200!September 24th, 2015
Today I added sterling #200 to my website. It is an amazing and extremely rare short cross imitation of Gottschalk II of Pyrmont. It's pierced but of great quality. Please have a look here!. I've also done some minor updates and added another example from a private collection of a Mayhew 382 coin and als added a picture of a rare and unrecorded Valéran of Ligny sterling, also in private hands. See comments under catalogue #0090.
9 Sterlings addedAugust 5th, 2015
A long cross by Henry I of Sternberg, a very rare short cross by Bernhard III of Lippe and a spectacular enigmatic imitation added + a few others. Also devided the "Voided Long Cross Sterlings" section into "Continental imitations of certain rulers" and "Anonymous imitations with English legends" otherwise the list with coins went too long. Now you can see them by ruler and by imitated class. Here is the complete list with additions:
- #0191, a crockard by John of Louvain, a rare piece
- #0192, a very rare short cross imitation by Bernhard III of Lippe!
- #0193, a gift of Peter H (THANKS!) of a sterling issued by John the Blind
- #0194, an enigmatic crockard with a Guy of Dampierre obverse and a Mons reverse!
- #0195, a John II of Avesnes sterling
- #0196, a sterling issued by John I of Brabant
- #0197, an imitation with English legends
- #0198, a very rare imitation by Henry I of Sternberg!!
- #0199, a class 3 voided long cross imitation
11 Sterlings addedJanuary 14th, 2015
We start 2015 with a nice update, 10 Edwardian and 1 Henry sterling. Here is the list:
- #0180, an interesting Henry III imitation, not found in North
- #0181, a sterling issued by John the Blind, Damvillers mint
- #0182, a 2nd Mayhew 21 copy with more details of Guy of Dampierre minted in Damme
- #0183, a 2nd variant of Mayhew 19var copy of Guy of Dampierre also minted in Damme
- #0184, a very rare Gaucher of Châtillon sterling, Florennes mint
- #0185, a sterling issued by John the Blind, Luxembourg mint
- #0186, a new variety of a John the Blind sterling, Luxembourg mint
- #0187, a sterling by Thomas of Bourlémont
- #0188, a nice Pollard, Arnold of Looz
- #0189, a very rare coin by Hugh of Chalon, Fosses mint
- #0190, an unrecorded variety of a John II of Avesnes sterling
26 Sterlings addedJuly 11th, 2014
Big update! I added 26 sterlings to the site. Here is the list:
- #0153, a very rare (German?) imitation with English legends
- #0154, the famous halfpenny by John the Blind, Marche-en-Famenne mint
- #0155, a rare John II of Brabant sterling minted in Dalhem castle
- #0156, a pollard type sterling of Guy of Dampierre minted in Douai
- #0157, a forged long cross sterling
- #0158, a very rare sterling by Thomas of Bourlémont
- #0159, a nice William "The Rich" sterling
- #0160, a rare variety of a Gaucher of Châtillon sterling
- #0161, a rare type of a Gaucher of Châtillon sterling
- #0162, an extremely rare sterling by John of Avesnes
- #0163, a fantastic imitation of a voided long cross penny by Bernhard III
- #0164, a rare variety of a John II of Avesnes sterling
- #0165, a Gaucher of Châtillon sterling
- #0166, another Gaucher of Châtillon sterling
- #0167, and one more of Gaucher
- #0168, a Gaucher of Châtillon sterling
- #0169, a new Gaucher of Châtillon sterling I didn't have yet
- #0170, a second example of the rare Thuin sterling by Hugh of Chalon
- #0171, a very interesting forgery with English obverse and a continental reverse!
- #0172, finally I found a new piece to add of Valéran of Ligny
- #0173, a forged voided long cross sterling
- #0174, a forged long cross sterling of the York mint
- #0175, a very nice long cross forgery
- #0176, a John II of Avesnes sterling
- #0177, a copper long cross forgery
- #0178, an imitation with English legends
Coins addedMay 30th, 2014
It has been a while, but finally some new additions. Many to follow soon! Curious? Here they are:
- #0149, a nice forged voided long cross sterling
- #0150, an unrecorded variety of a Louis of Bavaria sterling
- #0151, a rare pollard type sterling of Guy of Dampierre
- #0152, a rare variety of a John II of Avesnes sterling
Thanks to Mr. Heinrich Ihl, this half sterling (#0085) can be attributed to Bernhard III and it is minted in the city Lemgo.
Coin addedJuly 17th, 2013
Added a beautiful forged voided long cross sterling to the website. You can find it here, on top of the page with cat.# 0148.
New website launchedJuly 8th, 2013
July 2013 sees the birth of my website. It shows a large collection of continental sterling imitations as well as contemporary forgeries. All coins are in my collection. Hope this site will be used as a refence for detectorists and collectors. New additions will be anounced in the update section.
Sterling imitations dot comJune 19th, 2012
Registered the domain sterlingimitations.com. Now it's time to do some programming, photograph all the coins and make descriptions.